Your Cart


You have no items in your cart.

Shop our collections
Free Shipping On Orders $90+ Icon
Free Returns Icon
30 Day Trial Icon
  • Free Shipping

    On Orders $90+
  • Free Returns

  • 30-Day Trial

  • Wellness

    A Case for Clean Cookware: The Truth Behind PTFE

    Teflon Truth

    Let’s talk PTFE (such as Teflon®). Chances are you’ve heard about it, watched a movie about it, or have used it. So what is it? We're taking a look at the chemical found in over 95% of cookware, and sharing what makes Caraway different.

    Teflon® is a man-made, extremely non-polar synthetic chemical (meaning it can repel other substances). Because of this unique ability, it can be found in many household products like carpeting, clothing, food packaging and cookware.1 It’s also one of the most dangerous chemicals still allowed to be used on a consumer product. When overheated past 500°F, Teflon® releases toxic fumes at a molecular level.

    This means not only will you be unable to see the toxic fumes, but you won’t be able to smell them either.2 And because it only takes 2.5 minutes for a Teflon® pan to reach 500°F, many are exposing themselves to Teflon® poisoning without even knowing it.

    Effects of Teflon® Flu

    Exposure to these fumes can affect your health, and this is so common that doctors have given the effect its own name: the Teflon® Flu. Similar to the standard flu, symptoms include sore throat, coughing, headaches, muscle aches, and fevers between 100-104°F, and typically lasts two to three days. Long term exposure has been linked to cancer, lower sperm count, behavioral issues and birth defects.3

    Congress has introduced more than 20 pieces of legislation to limit the use of Teflon® in 2019.4 With Teflon®-coated pans in the home of about 70% of the US population, it is more important than ever that the public is educated about the risks of Teflon®, and better, healthier alternatives are created.

    Teflon Flu

    Enter ceramic cookware. A non-toxic surface made to be treated the same way as your typical non-stick cookware.

    But there’s a catch: many brands market themselves as ceramic, but sometimes feature as little as 1% in their product (and the other 99% could be Teflon®!). When deciding what cookware to buy, ask companies for testing reports or information showing there is no PTFE, PFAs or PFOAs in their cookware. This is the best way to understand more about your investment, and ensure the cookware is safe to use in your home.

    As for us? We’d be happy to share with you our testing reports (seriously, shoot us an email at [email protected]!), which show we are 100% non-toxic. Enter the new wave of good for you (and honest) cookware.

    The Benefits of Ceramic

    Ceramic-coated cookware is 100% non-toxic, free of PTFE (such as Teflon®), PFOA, PFAs, lead, cadmium, nickel and other toxic metals. Zero toxins means you have a 0% chance of being exposed to fumes that could harm yourself, your family and your pets. As for cooking? Ceramic is naturally non-stick. All you need is a dash of oil or butter to prevent sticking.

    Fry Pan

    Our Secret Sauce

    Caraway’s high quality, non-stick ceramic pans are designed to stand the test of time. By using the highest quality ceramic coating, the longevity of our non-stick is guaranteed, without the markup like other brands. Meant to stand out, our design is completely innovative, with unique color ways and a sleek pan curvature designed for function with a fashionable edge.

    Whether you’re a weeknight chef looking to amplify your meals or making a healthy swap to protect your loved ones from harmful emissions, Caraway is built for function, style, longevity and to keep you safe. Because what recipe calls for chemicals, anyway?

    Sources Referenced:


    Featured Stories

    Caraway Logo Text


    CookwareStainless SteelSquarewareBakewareFood StoragePrepwareTea KettleLinensGift CardSend a GiftAdd To Your Registry

    One step closer to cleaner cooking

    Unlock free shipping on your next order $90+ and be the first to learn about new collections when you sign up for emails from Caraway.

    Latest Blog Articles

    © 2024 Caraway®


    *Free shipping on orders $90+ applies to locations within the contiguous U.S., and excludes Hawaii, Alaska, and destinations outside of the U.S.

    Click to view our Accessibility Statement or contact us with accessibility-related questions.